- We strive to provide complete care for our patients. Learn more about all the services we provide.
Posted on 10-09-2012
The dangers of carbon monoxide affect your pets as well as you. In fact, like children and the elderly, small pets are at a higher risk for poisoning. To better protect your two- and four-legged family members, become familiar with the common causes and signs of carbon monoxide poisoning and how to best prevent it from happening in your home.
Where would my pet get carbon monoxide poisoning?
Common ways pets and people are exposed to high levels of carbon monoxide include:
• Automobile exhaust in a closed garage
• Faulty car or house exhaust system
• Non-vented heaters (furnace, gas water, kerosene)
• Smoke inhalation (building fires)
• Airplane cargo areas
What to look for?
• Difficulty breathing
• Bright red color to skin or gums
What to do if you suspect carbon monoxide poisoning in pets:
If you suspect carbon monoxide poisoning, the first thing to do is get the animal(s) away from the source of carbon monoxide into fresh air. Next, seek veterinary medical help immediately.
How can you help prevent carbon monoxide poisoning in pets:
Make sure your home has working carbon monoxide detectors at all times. When carbon monoxide levels elevate, the sensors will alert you to the danger. Otherwise, you and your pets may go to bed unaware of the toxic levels and succumb to carbon monoxide poisoning.
There are no comments for this post. Please use the form below to post a comment.