- We strive to provide complete care for our patients. Learn more about all the services we provide.
Posted on 12-18-2012
Holiday season plants to avoid:
Lilies found in holiday flower arrangements can be deadly to your cat. Many types of lily, such as Tiger, Asian, Japanese Show, Easter, Stargazer, and the Casa Blanca, cause acute kidney failure in cats.
Poinsettias generally have low toxicity. If ingested, poinsettias irritate the mouth and stomach, causing mild vomiting or nausea.
Mistletoe can have a cardiovascular (heart and blood vessels) toxic effect. More commonly, however, mistletoe ingestion usually causes gastrointestinal upset.
Holly ingestion can cause vomiting, nausea, diarrhea, and lethargy.
Please call your veterinarian for advice in all cases to ensure that your pet doesn't need emergency veterinary care.
Hazards around the Christmas tree:
Christmas tree water often contains fertilizers, that, if ingested, cause stomach upsets. Stagnant tree water can have extremely high bacterial content, which can cause vomiting, nausea, and diarrhea, if ingested.
Electric cords should be hidden or covered safely. If they were chewed, they could electrocute your pet.
Ribbons or tinsel can get stuck in the intestines and cause intestinal obstruction if ingested.
Batteries contain corrosives. If ingested they can cause serious ulceration to the mouth, tongue and intestines.
Glass ornaments can cut the tissues of the gastrointestinal tract if ingested.
There are no comments for this post. Please use the form below to post a comment.